A frittata should be a staple for the paleo/ keto home chef. It’s packed with protein, it’s super easy, and you’ll most likely have what you need already in your fridge! You can sneak in all kinds of veggies and it can be enjoyed at breakfast, lunch or dinner. On a lazy day or when you’re in a rush, this dish is gold.
The pictured version was literally a quick way to use everything I had left in my fridge from the week, and it turned out beautifully. This time I used sausage, baby kale, old sharp white cheddar, tomatoes, mushrooms & onions.
What you need:
– 8 eggs
– 1/2 cup of organic cream (fattier the better!)
– a neutral cooking oil
– greens (kale, arugula, spinach, etc.)
– your fav veggies (mushrooms, peppers, sweet potatoes, leeks – possibilities are endless!)
– small onion (chopped)
– herbs (oregano, red chilli pepper flakes are my go-to’s, but be creative!)
-garlic (1-2 cloves, crushed)
– meat optional* (bacon, prosciutto, left over shredded pork or beef, sausage, smoked chicken, etc.)
– cheese optional*, if dairy is a part of your plan, goat cheese, cheddar, or Gorgonzola can make a beautiful topping
What you do:
– Whisk eggs & cream together in a bowl, add S&P
– heat 1tbsp of your cooking fat in a large cast-iron skillet over med. heat
– if you are using bacon or sausage, chop it up in advance, and throw it into the pan. Cook through.
– if it’s bacon or prosciutto, remove from pan. If it’s sausage, add in your herbs now (large pinch of each). Sauté for a minute.
– remove meat from pan.
– add onion to the pan. Add in other hard vegetables (basically anything other than tomatoes and leafy greens). Once onions are translucent (about 5 mins), add in the garlic (& other herbs) if you haven’t yet.
– add meat back to the pan.
– stir/combine well. At this point, add your greens and/or chopped tomatoes, and stir until greens are nearly wilted or tomatoes are just warmed (30 secs – 1 min).
– pour in egg mixture. Let set for 5 mins.
– sprinkle any cheese on top, and put in the oven under the broiler until an inserted knife comes out clean.
– take out and let it cool for a few minutes.
– slice & serve it up!
Bon appetit! xx